Saying is has been a crazy couple of weeks might be the understatement of the century. The entire planet is going through something we never could have prepared ourselves for, but luckily we are all navigating through it together! We are so lucky to already have a strong sewing community online, which is keeping us motivated, encouraged and inspired. I can't help but wonder how we would have dealt with all of this just 20 years ago! When faced with a situation like this, it hard to ignore how much we rely on human contact and socialization, but it also makes us so aware of how connected we are online! It's pretty neat, to be honest, how much is available online. You can take a class, have a meeting, talk to someone in another country or around the corner, buy just about anything and of course download PDF sewing patterns!
This is a time of uncertainty to say the least. Many have been laid-off, lost their jobs completely or just don’t know what the future holds. If you your income has been affected by this pandemic, but your creative spirit has not, I have compiled a list of free sewing patterns to help you through these tough times! I want to stress however, that if you're able to continue to support small businesses and independent pattern designers, I urge you to do so. Buy a paper pattern online from your favourite local sewing shop if possible. But if not, this list should help with your time in isewlation.
- Plantain Tee from Deer and Doe Patterns This is a classic T-shirt fitted at the shoulders and flaring at the hips, with elbow patches. Short, long and 3/4 sleeves included in the pattern
- Hemlock Tee from Grainline Studios - A boxy fitting shirt with dropped shoulders and a round neckline. Available with either short sleeves or 3/4 length, cropped or mid. Free when you subscribe to their newsletter (sign up at the bottom of the page!)
- The Stellan Tee from French Navy Now - A classic fit tee with mid length sleeves that can be left as-is or rolled. (A personal fave!)
- Secondo Piano Basic InstincT - as the name implies this is a pretty basic tee with a great relaxed fit.
- Mandy Boat Tee from Tessuti - a boxy tee with dropped shoulders and a boat neck. Easy to make and easier to wear. A cult favourite!
- Fancy Tiger Craft's One Hour Top - Super easy pattern with only two pattern pieces! You'll be wearing yours in no time!
Tops and Jackets
- Peppermint Peplum Top - an adorable sleeveless top with a peplum ruffle at the bottom. Consider hacking this in to a cool gathered dress by lengthening the peplum!
- Peppermint Wrap Top - Yes another from Peppermint Magazine, and this won't be the last! A trendy wrap top pattern with a flattering neckline.
- Krissa Crop by Amy Nicole Studios - A shell-fit top with a split back design and simple button closure.
- The Sorbetto Top by Colette Patterns - a 60's inspired sleeveless top with a box pleat detail and a modest scoop neck.
- Athina Top by Tessuti - a boxy top with dropped shoulders. Two lengths included. (Another personal favourite!)
- Monroe Turtleneck also from Tessuti - a relaxed, boxy fit turtleneck pattern with dropped shoulders and 3/4 or full length sleeves.
- Super Basic Tank Top from Halfmoon Atelier - super basic tank pattern. Free to email subscribers. Great for layering!
- Peppermint Magazine Robe Jacket - an elegant robe jacket for easy layering.
- Fabric-Store.com Paola Workwear Jacket - Workwear jackets or chore coats are all the rage and this pattern is freeeee!
Skirts and Dresses
- Lawley Skirt from Elbe Textiles - The Lawley Skirt is a gathered, knee length skirt- featuring an elasticated waistband with a drawstring and side pockets with a bias strip edging finish.
- Wide Strap Maxi Dress from Elbe Textiles for Peppermint Magazine - a cool and comfortable maxi with wide enough straps to cover your bra strap.
- The Everyday Dress by In The Folds for Peppermint Magazine - This dress is reversible with two different necklines. Super chic and easy to wear... everyday!
- Ready To Sew Justine - an A-line skirt with front button placket and front patch pockets.
- Untitled Thoughts Louise Wrap Dress - a simple yet elegant wrap dress.
- Luana Apron Dress from Fabric-Store.com - a super cute open-back apron style dress with an over-the-knee length.
- Orla Dress by French Navy Now - An everyday dress with a semi-fitted bodice and gathered skirt.
Pants, Shorts and Leggings
- Peppermint Wide Leg Pants - this season's hottest pant style with a high waist, pockets and a slightly cropped length.
- Peg Legs Leggings from Patterns For Pirates - A simple legging pattern with no side seams! Features 2 different rises and 4 lengths!
- Brindle and Twig Leggings - comfortable leggings with a drawstring waist.
- City Gym Shorts Purl Soho - athletic style shorts with a tulip hem and elastic waist for both women and kids. Not just for the gym!
- Do It Better Yourself Anything But Basic leggings pattern - inclusive sizing, 4 lengths and simple construction... what more could you want?
- Peppermint Spring Shorts - a sweet paper bag waist style short with pockets and a curved hem. Super cute!
- Fabric-Store.com Magda Crisp Linen Pants - easy to wear, comfortable and chic. Especially when working from home!
- Peppermint Jumpsuit - Very relaxed fit with optional tie belt.
- Peppermint Playsuit - playful and cute short romper. Another winner from designers In The Folds.
- Fabric-Store.com Alejandra Elastic Waist Jumpsuit - relaxed fit jumpsuit with pockets, an elastic waist and button front.
- Leonor Romper from Fabric-Store.com - the perfect on-piece outfit with the easy styling of a dress, but the comfort of a romper.
Kids and Babies
- Brindle and Twig Hooded Raglan - an adorable raglan style hooded sweatshirt with a kangaroo pockets and piping detail!
- Hey June Handmade Racer Back Dress - Easy to wear racer back tank dress for girls.
- Brindle and Twig Ringer tee - ringer tee with long and short sleeve options for your little one.
- Misusu Rowan Tee - Dolman style sleeves with a long or short sleeve option.
- Sew 4 Home Drool Bib with Binky Leash - bandana-style drool bib with tether for your babie's pacifier.
- Toby The Terrific Turtle with Hidden PJ Pocket from Sew 4 Home - I mean how cute is Toby?? Complete with pocket to stash pjs or other fun treasures.
- Spoonflower DIY baby Bodysuit pattern - a cute little onesie pattern for babies 0-18 months.
- The Avelia Unisex Bomber from Mood Fabrics - classic bomber jacket style for men or women.
- Sage Tee from Elbe Textiles - a classic, relaxed for t shirt pattern with short sleeved and a crew neck.
- Named Clothing Tie and Bowtie - a pattern for a neck tie in two widths and a bowtie with button closure. Great gift idea!
- The Arrowsmith Undershirt from Thread Theory - a simple to sew wardrobe staple. Scooped crew neckline and deep armholes make it a perfect sleeveless top pattern or undershirt!
- Life Sew Savory T-Shirt - a long sleeve tee pattern with cuffed wrists and contrasting neckband.
- Green Style Creations Evergreen Unisex Tee - this versatile t-shirt pattern is free when you visit their Facebook or Instagram pages to receive a free coupon code.
- Melly Sews Hoodie - classic hoodie with kangaroo pocket and drawstring hood.
- DIY Hemp Yoga Bag from Simplifi Fabric ( that's us!) - easy to sew yoga mat bag pattern with adjustable strap, drawstring top, zippered pocket and water bottle pocket!
- Elbe Textiles Sorrento Bucket Hat - a fully lined brimmed hat with optional topstitching. Make it reversible!
- All Well Full Moon Bag - Free for newsletter subscribers, a super on-trend circular purse pattern with two sizes!
- Ida Clutch from Kylie and the Machine - fully lined, versatile clutch purse pattern. Enlarge the pattern pieces for a statement clutch!
- Victory Patterns Madrid Tote - free with newsletter, this is a simple, yet stylish tote bag with large pockets and sturdy handles.
- Walkabout Backpack from Sew 4 Home - a super-cool boxy backpack pattern with outer pocket as well as interior pockets!
- Sew 4 Home Cinch Top Bucket Bag - stylish and roomy bucket bag with an adjustable crossover strap, grommets and drawstring top.
- Purl Soho Easy Drawstring Bag - simple little drawstring bag, perfect as a project bag or as a reusable wrapping paper alternative.
- Tilly and the Buttons Snuggle Slipper Boots - very cozy lined slipper boots pattern.
- Helen's Closet Costa Tote - Free to newsletter subscribers, a simple stylish tote bag pattern with fun asymmetrical outer pockets.
Undergarments and PJs
- For the best list of 15 FREE underwear sewing patterns see our blog post here!
- Barrett Bralette from Madalynne Intimates - easy and comfortable pull on style bralette pattern with peak-a-boo front and adjustable straps.
- Madalynne Intimates Noelle Halter - The Noelle is a simple halter bralette pattern with a racerback, wide bottom band and adjustable shoulder straps. Wear it as lingerie, a layering piece or as a crop top.
- Watson Bra Lingingie Set from Cloth Habit - easy to wear 70's inspired set with a plunging neckline and bikini brief bottoms.
- Ohhh Lulu Hyacinth Bralette - pull on style bralette pattern with a scooped neckline and adjustable straps.
- Patterns For Pirates Walk the Plank PJ Bottoms for Adults and Youth - unisex PJ pants for the whole family!
- Movie Night PJs Sew a Little Seam - adorable cozy PJ set for the whole family. Free when you join their Facebook group.
- Life Sew Savory Family PJs - PJ pants for the whole family!
- Closet Case Patterns Floor Poof - The perfect scrap buster that you can actually stuff with more scraps!
- Victory Pattern x Tilly and the Buttons Tailor's Ham and Sausage - every sewist needs one of these hams for pressing curves!
- Closet Case Patterns Sewing Machine Covers - sewing machine and serger covers to keep your precious babies dust-free.
- Bombazine Mitt - easy oven mitt sewing pattern to use up all your scrap fabric!
- Sallie Tomato Simple Storage Cubes - perfect for organizing your sewing space!
- Simplifi Fabric Nut Milking Bag - our very own pattern for a nut milking bag to make nut milk at home!
- Pet Movie Night Shirt from Sew a Little Seam - free from their Facebook page, make your pets a short to match your own Movie Night Pjs! free with Facebook sub
- See Kate Sew Cat Bed - insanely cute pod-style cat bed with cat ears.
- Fabric-Store.com Churchill Linen Dog Bed - simple round dog bed pattern, sew in linen for a really luxurious look.
- Spoonflower Easy Pet Bandana - a quick sew, this bandana is designed to slip over your pet's collar so you can switch up their style whenever you need to.
- Too many to list!! Art Gallery Fabrics Free Patterns - over 100 free quilt patterns!
- Modern Domestic Take Heart Quilt - Sweet and simple heart shaped quilt block pattern.
- Ruby Star Society Geese on the Lawn - flying geese quilt design free from fat Quarter Shop.
- Purl Soho Short Stories Quilt - geometric and cool!
- Purl Soho Crossroads Quilt - modern geometric quilt with a hint of a plaid feel.
As you can see there are LOTS of free patterns available out there. This list is a small selection of some of our favourites and favourites of sewists in the online community. There are far too many to list them all, but the following websites are a terrific resource for free patterns if you need even more inspiration!
Peppermint Magazine Sewing School - tons of free on-trend patterns from various pattern designers. Tried and tested!
Sew4Home - Many free patterns babies, bags and more for the home!
Fabric-Store.com - many free trendy and elegant sewing patterns to print at home.
Fat Quarter Shop - lots of free quilting patterns from various designers!
Purl Soho Free Pattern Database - not just knitting patterns, Purl Soho has lots for sewists too, including quilt patterns, patterns for home and garments too!
I genuinely hope you are all doing well! We have such wonderful clients and we can't thank you enough for your continued support through these tough times! Keep your heads up, and most importantly, keep sewing.
Thanks for stopping by.